InterStim® Therapy may help you regain control and get back to the activities you enjoy. This FDA-approved treatment has helped men and women worldwide find relief from bladder control problems – especially overactive bladder.
Sacral neuromodulation is a proven treatment option for bladder and bowel control. This treatment is delivered via an implantable system that sends mild electrical pulses through a lead to the sacral nerves to modulate the neural activity that influences the behavior of the pelvic floor, lower urinary track, urinary and anal sphincters, and colon.
InterStim® Therapy starts with a trial evaluation where you can experience how it feels and see if it will help reduce your symptoms before going forward with the procedure. The electrical stimulation may eliminate or reduce certain bladder control and bowel control symptoms in some people.
Once Dr. Castleberry has determined that the InterStim® Therapy is effective for your particular condition, you will be scheduled for the complete implantation of the InterStim® device. InterStim® Therapy may reduce symptoms for many people who suffer from over active bladder and bowel control problems.
- Performed as an in-office or outpatient procedure
- Using local anesthesia, a thin, flexible wire is inserted near your sacral nerves, connected to a test stimulator worn on your waistband
- Sends mild electrical pulses to the sacral nerve
- Can immediately reduce and even eliminate symptoms of overactive bladder and urinary retention
- If you achieve good results from the trial, you and your doctor can discuss long-term InterStim® Therapy
- InterStim® Therapy is a reversible treatment that can be discontinued at anytime by turning off or removing the device
Medtronic Bowel Control therapy will not cure your bowel control problems. It may however reduce your symptoms to a tolerable level and allow you to resume many of your daily activities.
After talking with Dr. Castleberry, you may decide to try InterStim® Therapy by going through an evaluation. The evaluation usually lasts several days. Before and during the evaluation, you will be asked to track your symptoms to help determine how well InterStim® Therapy works for you.
For more information. visit Medtronic’s website by clicking here or the image below.